Thursday, March 8, 2007

It's My Station

As one who spends a lot of time surfing the websites of radio stations throughout the country, looking for great ideas to steal before my competition does - I came across this web concept 3-4 years ago after clicking on the site of KSAN/San Francisco (107.7/The Bone).

And I thought it was brilliant. Putting faces on the listeners. Building a "club". A "community".

This strategy came to mind the other day. I surfed around the web and could only find two stations doing this beyond KSAN (which has since apparently dropped the concept; the image to the left was found on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine).

It doesn't take much effort. Solicit photos or bring a camera to remotes. Combine this with other elements that build a community of listeners on and off air and it adds up.

In the end, you make your station just a little more bullet-proof. Real words from real people. Check out Milwaukee's WKLH (who is doing an online promotion "Hey Mom, I'm on WKLH.COM") as well as Buffalo's 97 Rock. Duct tape rocks.

No comments: